Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Before the Last Frost

According to the National Weather Service, the average latest hard freeze (below 28 F), occurs March 17th. In 2020, our last hard freeze was April 18th. Last year was March 12th. Just because the final hard freeze hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean I can't find plenty of garden-related things to do. 

For instance, I chitted seed potatoes last week. All that means is I cut them up to separate clusters of sprouting eyes. In the interest of science, I created a control group and a variable group, just to confirm what I suspect will happen if you don't do it right.

Picture taken March 1st.

The six fingerling potatoes in the end of the egg carton were cut the same day. Three placed cut-side down, the others, cut side up. I then left the carton in a sunny(-ish) window to dry and continue growing.

And then Bobby, science happens.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the taters I left cut-side up look like they're molding. I may have to throw them out, or at least plant them somewhere outside the garden. What I found most interesting though, is the black edge of the large (I believe Russet) potatoes on the left. That one I cut in half and turned over, but it was too big to fit down in the egg carton. So, that end with the ugly looking discoloration was left sticking up at an angle. And it looks to be going bad too. It may go in the ground outside the main garden as well. 

These taters ended up curing on junk mail. They look just fine on the underside. 

I planned to plant the potatoes in the raised beds. After a little double checking, I found a number of sources of mostly solid repute, which advised against planting potatoes and strawberries in the same space. The consensus seems to be that potatoes are prone both to insect pests, and fungal diseases. On a related note, planting kale, cabbage and broccoli around strawberries can lead to the same fungal diseases. 

So, instead of putting them in the raised beds, I will try another experiment this year: growing potatoes in above-ground containers! I've read about this technique, but haven't tried it before. We'll see how it goes. 

I'm sure the 'how it's going' photo will be a lot more rewarding than this....

Another experiment I'm trying this year: fertilizing the garden with composted plant (and probably worm) matter from the plastic pool under my parent's bubbling rock. I worked this stuff into the west raised bed, the blackberry enclosure, the potatoes buckets, and the base of my fruit trees. The only place I haven't used it is the east raised bed. We'll see if the difference produces any noticeable results. 


 It doesn't smell near as gross as it looks. 

Planted from left to right: brussels sprouts, green onions, lettuce, spinach.

I'm looking forward to the possibilities the spring brings, and I hope your spring is full of (positive) possibilities too!

No comments:

Post a Comment