Thursday, February 22, 2024

Let the poors eat cereal!

As some of you might know, I am currently working on a non-fiction book with my good friend, Dr. Ryan Mattson. In it, we will tackle the topic of economic inequality, showing how it has became entrenched over the last 40 years or so, and how it is much worse than top line numbers and conventional economic analysis would indicate. We plan to also argue in the book that this entrenched inequality lays the groundwork for radical political violence. Don't worry, the book isn't all doom and gloom, and we offer solutions we think would help claw back from of that wealth from the haves to the have-nots. The poors, if you will. 

As an important side note, I want to point out that if your net worth is less than $10 million, you are most likely one of us poors.

With that caveat taken care of, I have been reading a lot about previous revolutionary moments in other Western, and West-adjacent societies since the United States' Revolution that began in 1775 (or 1773, or 1763, depending on how you want to date it). Over the course of my research, I came back to a trio of big R revolutions that I think most resemble our current moment: The Russian Revolution of 1904, The Mexican Revolution of 1910 and the French Revolution of 1789. 



One of these three is not like the others...


I wrote up a fancy table laying the revolutions out side by side with our current moment, looking for the closest similarities, as well as dissimilating factors. I tentatively titled it "The Morphology of Revolution" and, as anyone doing too much book-learning is want to, agonized over which one offers the most similarities. My hope with this blog post was not just to generate interest in the forthcoming book, but also to offer readers a rough guide of signposts and events to watch for. After all, if falling victim to revolutionary tribunals is not your thing, then it might be good to have a head start on the secret police. 

...but it IS like another.

Then this happened:



I did my due diligence. This is not a clip from The Daily Show. This guy un-ironically suggested families eat cereal with milk and fruit for dinner.  

After picking myself up off the floor, cause I fell out laughing, I rushed to put this post together. Events are taking on a life of their own, and I fear I may be behind events. 

Also, I would like to thank the CEO of Kellogg for casting the tie-breaking vote. That's it. The winner is pre-revolutionary France. So go out there and party like its 1789 friends. America's ancien regime is tottering towards a reckoning of its own making. 


Let's face it, the French do everything just a little flashier and classier than we in the English-speaking world.


I do wonder what our iconic instrument of our Reign of Terror will be? France already stole the flashy one, with the guillotine. Maybe we will behead political enemies with jacked up pickups? 

No comments:

Post a Comment