Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Fun Times with Formatting

Last week, I uploaded my manuscript for an anthology of supernatural horror novellas, titled Blank Mesa: An Anthology of Supernatural Suspense. So far, the reception has been positive, and the eBook version of the anthology drops Sunday, January 29th. It is available for pre-order now.

Which brings me to the first challenge I encountered. Amazon's website will allow you to set up an eBook for pre-order, and, helpfully, allows you to upload changes to the eBook up to 4 days before the eBook goes live. Despite my searching through the depths of the FAQ section, I could not find a 'pre-order' setting for a paperback. So, I opted to go live with the paperback and related in last Tuesday. I ordered a proof copy. When it arrived, I found the same set of printing errors that my friend Mike found, upon receipt of his two copies. (Thanks for buying more than one!)

See if you can spot them:


This is the error I should have caught on final review.


This sentence involving kitchen knives did not show up at all in the original document, so I can only assume it was some funky formatting error going from Pages, to ePub to the KDP file.


This one too, did not show up in the original Pages doc. 


Then there's this one. A title page should always (with only rare exceptions) show up on the right hand page. It did in Pages, but by the time it got to the KDP file, it did not. 

On a positive note; free preview!

You may also notice a lack of page numbers. I got around this formatting error with the second version by uploading a PDF instead of a KDP file.

The point of all this, is that I want people to know that, if you were so kind as to order the book the first week, it will contain these errors. As of Monday, paperback copies that go out should not. Please do let me know if they do. 

If you want a second version of the book, with the errors fixed, I believe you can return it to Amazon at no cost. I will look into that and confirm, sometime over the next week. 

Or you can have a unique copy that shows you heard of my books first!

Either way, I hope you all enjoyed them, and I am working on three more stand-alone novellas and part two of Black Mesa. I plan to release anthology two in early July.

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment